Located seventeen miles southwest of Rome, the scenic village of Cave Spring contains over ninety structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Keep reading to learn more about the history of the Civil War in Cave Spring, Ga.
In October of 1864, after the fall of Atlanta, Cave Spring was the headquarters of the Confederate Army of Tennessee. It was here that General John Bell Hood met with General Beauregard to discuss future plans. The result of this meeting was the disastrous campaign that sealed the fate of the Southern Confederacy on the bloodstained fields of Franklin and Nashville, Tennessee.
Fannin Hall, the original administration building of the Georgia School for the Deaf, was used as a hospital and it was here that Missouri boys of the famous “Orphan Brigade” were treated following the battle at Allatoona Pass. Ironically, many of these were the same soldiers that defended Fort Attaway in the action at Howe’s Hill just a few months before.
Located near Cave Spring, Chubbtown is a notable community that was founded by free blacks before the Civil War.