1389 Redmond Circle, Rome, GA 30165
The 123 acres are named for the doctor who originally owned the land and sold it to General Electric in July 1952 for $118,350. His youngest son, Bobby Garrard, who still lives in Rome, snipped the ribbon to officially open the recreational complex.
Dr. Garrard took one of the fields on the property and turned it into an airstrip, Rome’s first airport. Robert E. Stroop, who was certified for flight in 1921 by Orville Wright, delivered the plane to Rome and fell in love with one of Garrard’s daughters and they later married. Many of the Garrard and Stroop descendants were on hand for the dedication.
Three loop trails designed for mountain bikes crisscross approximately half of the 123-acre tract for a total of 4 miles. A 1.2-mile walking trail has also been developed along the perimeter of the property and was named for Bob and Peggy Moore, local cycling enthusiast.