13 Old Cedartown Road, Cave Spring, GA 30124
Cave $2; Rolater Lake Spring Pool $5
Dawn to Dusk
The natural limestone cave, in Cave Spring is open seasonally. It is maintains a consistent 57-degree coolness on a hot summer’s day. The Cave is located in Rolater Park just off the town square. You can stop by year-round to collect fresh spring water in front of the cave – remember to bring your water jugs! General admission is $2/person
For more information about the Cave:
The Cave Spring Pool, also known as Rolater Lake is open weekends Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Visible in the Cave is the town’s namesake spring that produces 2 million gallons a day of the purest, best-tasting water you’re likely to find anywhere. People from miles around come to fill jugs and take home the award-winning water.
The cave’s spring overflows into a serene reflection pond and shallow stream, perfect for the little ones to dabble in. Then it flows on to fill the park’s 1.5 acre swimming lake, second-largest in the state, with its invigorating mineral water. There’s room aplenty for lap swimmers, floaters and water babies. Bordered by a wide, grassy lawn, it’s a favorite spot for sun worshippers, too. The pool complex includes a snack bar, volleyball area, picnic tables, and bathhouse.
During swim season, the lake is open Friday – Sunday, Noon-7PM
For more information about Rolater Lake:
The Pinhoti trail runs through Rolater Park. The trailheads for the Pinhoti Trail are located just outside of town, southwest of Cave Spring. The trail extends up through Coosa, follows Taylor’s Ridge to Dalton to north Ellijay before eventually linking to the Appalachian Trail. The Pinhoti is the longest thru-trail in Georgia at at over 165 miles.
The U.S. Bicycle Route 21 also runs through Cave Spring connecting Atlanta to Chattanooga. MapMyRide.com offers 30 mile to 100 mile loops that begin and end in Rolater Park.
Learn more about Pinhoti Trail: Forest Service
Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association provides a Pinhoti Trail Guide: Download Guide (pdf)
In 1838 the Manual Labor School for boys was established by the Cave Spring Baptist Church to teach the skills of farming and other ways to make a living. The town’s famous cave and spring were a part of the school grounds. In 1839 six small cottages were erected as dormitories, and the first classroom was built.
Lott Hearn bequeathed an endowment to the school in 1846, which resulted in the name change to Lott Hearn Manual Labor School. In 1903 the school was reorganized under the direction of the Georgia Baptist Convention and was known as Hearn Academy, a preparatory school for future college students. Because of a fire the original building was replaced in 1910 with the present facility. The school closed in 1925, and today the building is used for many special events.
For more information about Hearn Academy and rentals: 706-381-2060
The Historic Hearn Inn
Hearn Inn was built by the Baptists as a dormitory for Manual Labor School. When the school closed, the building was converted into apartments and remained as such until the 1960’s. In 1980-81 restoration was begun, and now the building is used as a bed and breakfast inn and is also rented for social functions.
For more information about Hearn Inn and booking: 706-381-2060
Cave Spring Baptist Church
The Old Baptist Church was completed in 1851 and was constructed of bricks that were handmade by slaves. In the early 1930’s the Baptists built another building on Cedartown Road and sold this property to Dr. J. B. Rolater. The balcony, wide plank floors, and stained glass windows make this building perfect for weddings.
For more information about Cave Spring Baptist Church and rentals: 706-381-2060
Picnic tables and pavilions dot the tree-shaded park. Pavilions may be rented for the day by families or organizations, and the park may be reserved for company picnics, family reunions, club activities, and other group events. Visitors can also fish in Little Cedar Creek.
For more information about Pavilons and Rentals: 706-777-0202