We’re back with another round of fantastic photos of Rome’s historic homes!
Major Ridge Home – 501 Riverside Parkway
At the core of the house is a two-story “dogtrot” log cabin that once served as the home of prominent Cherokee leader Major Ridge and his family. By 1819, Ridge moved his family into a two-story log cabin onto this property on the Oostanaula River. In 1828, Ridge and his son John, oversaw renovations of the cabin. When the work was finished, the cabin had become a white clapboard plantation home. Here the Ridge family oversaw a ferry, trading post and a working plantation complete with crops and orchards.
208 East Fourth Street
The property was originally purchased by the First Presbyterian Church in 1868, and owned until 1873. It is a carpenter Gothic style house with 13-foot ceilings and a heart pine staircase. In the backyard is a formal boxwood garden which also houses the bell from Rome’s first fire department.
313 East Fourth Street
Built in 1887, this stately manor was built on of the original land grants of Rome. The original land grants consisted of government rewards to citizens for risks and hardships they endured in the service of their country, vouchers listing the applicants status during the revolutionary war, and even headrights provided to the head of a family.
316 East Fourth Avenue
Built in 1905 for Maybeth Sullivan Graham as a wedding gift and starter home from her father, this home was used as temporary housing for many Sullivan families in the early 1900s. It was sold in 1938 for the sum of ten dollars and “other valuable considerations” to the Printup sisters, Miss Alida and her widowed sister, Mrs. Ava P. Harris. In 1946 they sold the property to Judge James Frederick Kelly with the stipulation that they continue to live upstairs, which they did until their deaths during the 1950s. Rumor has it their ghosts still inhabit the house, often turning on the lights in their upstairs room.
320 East Third Avenue
In 1868, an Irish Catholic immigrant, Thomas Fahy, moved to Rome and married Sarah Jonas, a young Jewish woman. Here they raised 11 children, including two musicians, a novelist, a nun, and a Federal Appeals Court Justice. Margaret Mitchell (author of Gone With the Wind) was a close friend of daughter Agnes, and came from Atlanta to spend many weekends in Rome.
Oak Hill – 24 Veterans Memorial Highway
The home of Martha Berry, founder of Berry College. Maintained by the students and staff of Berry College, Oak Hill was prominently featured in the movie Sweet Home Alabama as the Carmichael Plantation. Also on the grounds is a museum dedicated to the history of the college and Miss Berry’s life. The museum is open Monday thru Saturday, 10am – 5pm and visitors may tour the ancestral estate and heirloom gardens. Learn more.
203 East Fourth Avenue
Built circa 1885, this two-story wooden house is typical of the South after the Civil War. The porch extends across most of the front and around one side. Few alterations have been made to the house.