601 Broad Street, Rome, GA 30161
Erected in 1921 by the Medical Association of Georgia in memory of famed Rome druggist and civil War surgeon stands on the lawn of Rome City Hall. Dr. Battey earned international recognition through innovative surgery in Europe and set a startling medical precedent by his performance of the world’s first ovariotomy in 1869. He was president of the Georgia Medical Society in 1876 and a delegate to the International Medical Congress in 1881. The monument lists Dr. Battey’s proven virtues: Honesty, Courage, Modesty, Fidelity.
See this monument in the Historical Markers Tour.