Berry College, Rome, GA 30149
The House o’ Dreams is a large stone and board-and-batten cottage on top of Lavender Mountain. Plans were drawn by Harry Carlson of Cooledge and Carlson of Boston. It was built in 1922 by students and staff as a gift to Miss Berry on the 20th anniversary of the Schools. At 1,360 feet above sea level, 600 feet above Frost Chapel, the House o’ Dreams and its water/fire tower command a superb view of the campuses, the reservoir, the city of Rome, the northwest Georgia area, and neighboring states, Alabama and Tennessee.
Miss Berry’s mountain retreat was financed by contributions from Mrs. Emily Vanderbilt Hammond, alumni, and friends. The landscaping was done by Mr. Robert B. Cridland from Philadelphia. The terraces for fruit trees and berry patches, added at Miss Berry’s suggestion, were patterned after the grounds of Castle Nemi in Italy where Eugenia Berry Ruspoli, Martha Berry’s sister, lived.