Large Dining Room
Only an hour and a half from Atlanta, near Rome, GA., in the heart of the historic small town of Cave Spring, guests can find the lovely VictorianTumlin House where Southern hospitality abounds.
Browse the town’s many antique and specialty shops, walk to the limestone cave and drink the purest water in Georgia from its source, relax with a book on the 1400 square foot wraparound porch or the screened back porch, or swim in the pool.
Rooms have VCR and DVD players so guests may choose a favorite movie from the viewing library. There is also wireless internet accessibility in the inn. This home is the perfect getaway from the day-to-day hectic pace.
The Tumlin House also features a Saturday evening six-course gourmet dinner for a fixed price of $40 served at 7:00 P. M. by reservation only.
History of the House
According to courthouse records, 1842 is the year that improvement to this property was made. This would mean that some structure was built here, most likely the four rooms on the bottom of the house including the original living room to the right of the front door, the original family room to the left, the bedroom, second on the left and at least a portion of the dining room, the second on the right.
In 1886, the property which had been previously purchased by Thomas Evan Dickerson, was sold (for $1 – really given) to his daughter Julia and her new husband Albert N. Tumlin, hence the name of the house. Julia, whose photo may be seen in the bay window of the living room (parlor), was the great-great aunt of Nancy Boehm, the present owner of the house. However, Julia died early, and Albert, being lonely, began to “court” Julia’s niece, Lucy, great-aunt of Nancy’s.
Lucy, at first, was not interested in such nonsense, but did enjoy “Mr. Tumlin’s” (as she called him) attention. Her mother, Martha Virginia and her father, Thomas Knox Dickerson (who was Julia’s brother), were appalled and could not condone any of this dalliance. Finally, Lucy went to visit family in Chattanooga and Mr. Tumlin, persistent as he was, followed. He persuaded Lucy to marry him right there in Chattanooga.
When the happy couple returned to The Tumlin House, they would sit on the massive porch in the evening, as did the other residents on the street on their porches, but none of Lucy’s family would come to visit them. After several weeks of the “cold shoulder”, one evening Lucy’s sister K Darling Dickerson stood up on the Dickerson porch where she lived two houses toward town on the same side of the street, and announced, “I’m going to see my sister!” With that, she marched (and Aunt K could march) down the street, up the stairs to Lucy’s porch and there was a great amount of hugging and relief.
After that incident the family was reunited. Lucy and Albert had three children and needed extra space, so the second story was added – a room for Virginia, a room for Carolyn, a room for the baby, Newton, and a fourth room for guests. When Mr. Tumlin died and all the children were grown and had moved away, Lucy invited her brothers and sisters to live in the house with her. Harry, the oldest brother, who had moved to Detroit, eventually came back to Cave Spring to live with Lucy before his death.
K Darling, the oldest sister, was never married, and moved in with Lucy after her mother, Ginny, died. Jack, who also never married, came to live in this house with Lucy. Ruby, the baby of the family and Grandmother of the present owner Nancy, moved into the house with Lucy. By that time, Ruby’s children, Roy R. Perry, Jr. (father of the present owner) and Martha K, were grown and not living with their mother.
The inn’s guest rooms upstairs are named for Lucy’s brothers and sisters who at one time lived in the house: Uncle Harry, Uncle Jack, Aunt K and Ruby (or Grandmother).